We all like working out problems. Having a plot is a great opportunity to prove ourselves our ability to troubleshoot incoming issues. However, when we use "recycled" materials, sometime we end up creating more problems.
This year, we have collected two containers full of the following materials:
Plastic (not only PET, but HDPE, PVC, PP, and the like)
Metals (recyclables and not)
fabric (including bed frames and mattresses)
Particle Board and dead wood
Many of us feel it should be Okay to build our own trellises and gardening beds with the material available. However, after spending eight work parties (6 hours each) to the removal of foreign materials, it should be clear that we have to put a stop to our tinkering instincts.
PLEASE CONTACT THE COMMITTEE BEFORE STARTING A PROJECT. WE CAN HELP YOU CHOOSE YOUR MATERIALS WHILE MAINTAINING STANDARDS AND REGULATIONS
One more time, a real success clearing plots!!
I understand: the idea of a work party is somehow a troubling oxymoron. However, work parties are an incredible opportunity to meet new people and celebrate together the making of a community.
This year, we have managed to rein in the advance of weeds and blackberries in the West side of the Garden, and we have not seen cases of aphids.
Also, the fire hazard notice to the garden has been rescinded by the Fire Department. This was possible thanks to the intervention of Wendy Ellison, Thomas Bliskemper and our friends in grounds (infinite thanks to Elad and Suzanne, who have sacrificed their weekends clearing the West and Central areas)
The trench on the West side (next to the train tracks) has been clear for almost a year, and the trash inside the garden has been considerably reduced.
The container you see in the picture is the second this year, and we calculate the need of a third one by the end of this month.
Garden Meet & Greet
This last Wednesday we had the first Meet and Greet of the Summer. It was a great opportunity to meet the Garden Committee for the Academic Year 2016-2017 and to mingle with old and new friends.
During this meeting, we got a clear disclosure of the expenditures: the majority of our budget (as meager as it is) went to the disposal of waste material. Each container was roughly $700, and that leaves a very small amount available to replace broken tools (just look inside the Tool Shed) and hoses.
Please be kind and remember to clean and return the tools to the shed after using them